Programme Director and Public Policy Entrepreneur: Business and Society
An entrepreneurial opportunity to design, structure, generate support for and lead a significant Canadian initiative on business and society, while contributing to the development of a growing NGO of the highest calibre.
Global Canada believes that Canadian well-being depends upon a prosperous, well-governed world. All stakeholders—including the private sector, universities, social entrepreneurs and philanthropists—have an important role to play. Canadian business has a critical role to play in
demonstrating that profit and purpose can both be successfully achieved, at home and abroad.
In collaboration with the J.W. McConnell Foundation and MaRS, Global Canada is launching a major initiative to enhance the positive contribution of Canadian business to achieving the Sustainable Development Goals.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Under the direction of the Executive Chairman, articulate the case that Canadian business prospers in the long term if its activities align with society’s pressing needs and evolving expectations;
- Engage effectively with thought-leaders in this field and incorporate their best thinking in ways that resonate with CEOs and C-suite executives;
- Work collaboratively with other groups engaged in this sphere: e.g. MaRS; Canadian Business for Social Responsibility; Corporate Knights; UN Global Compact;
- Develop a community of senior Canadian business leaders committed to profitably align their core businesses with societal needs and expectations. Engage and involve other stakeholders that could help companies surface and seize relevant opportunities;
- Organize a flagship event to convene this community of Canadian business leaders;
- Determine processes for these companies to accelerate their successful alignment of business and societal objectives. Potentially organize multi-stakeholder workstreams that accelerate the positive impact of Canadian business in particular areas (e.g. workforce diversity, responsible mineral development, supporting viable economic opportunities in remote communities, environmental sustainability / decarbonization, and business practices);
- Communicate and bring profile to corporate actions that address societal needs, with particular use of the Sustainable Development Goals;
- Over the first 12 months, identify and successfully engage funding sources (especially from the private sector and foundations) to secure ongoing funding for a multiyear initiative;
- Ensure the smooth operations of the organization, including administration, accounting and reporting;
- Engage in the broader objectives and activities of Global Canada over time.
Skills and Experience
- Experience working with CEOs and/or C-suite executives;
- Project management experience;
- Entrepreneurial, problem-solving orientation;
- Experience dealing with the impact of business on broader social objectives, including work in or understanding of traditional Corporate Social Responsibility;
- Master’s degree and 7-10 years’ experience (post Bachelor degree);
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English.
- Excellent spoken French a very strong asset;
- Proven fundraising experience, especially from corporations and foundations;
- Experience working in a small, dynamic organization;
- Administrative experience;
- Personal capability with MS Office Suite and collaborative project software.
- Unimpeachable integrity and absolute discretion;
- Personally committed to the concept of Canada as a positive force in the world and the ability of business to make a positive contribution to Canadian and global society;
- Up-to-date knowledge of the debate around the role of business in society;
- Strong conceptual capability;
- Excellent communication skills, ability to synthesize, simplify and communicate complex concepts in ways that are easily understood;
- Familiarity and comfort working in cross-stakeholder environments with people holding widely varying views;
- Highly organized, self-directed and self-managing. Can work with little administrative support and only broad executive guidance;
- Entrepreneurial, positive, constructive, collaborative, problem-solving mindset. Can-do attitude.
Location, Term, and Compensation Structure
- Based in Montreal. The successful candidate may be based in another city for the first few months.
- Term: open-ended. Funding secured for first 12 months. Continuation based on ability to successfully prove out the concept and fundraise accordingly.
- Compensation: competitive; commensurate with experience.
Please send your résumé to email@example.com before March 29, 2019. Although it is not required, you may also enclose an optional cover letter of no more than 300 words.